Friday, May 05, 2006

 

Black Bloggin' Aint Easy or Why Dysthymia Sucks



"Black men's resistance to seeking help and their lack of access to mental health care make the likely discrepancy between the number who are diagnosed with depression and the number who actually suffer from it even greater. The few studies of the prevalence of depression in African American men report that 8-10 percent of us suffer serious depression in a year."

Standing In the Shadows : Understanding and Overcoming Depression in Black Men
John Head

YEAH! I dropped out for a minute, so what! BlackBloggin' aint easy...and I'm suffering from the postmod social malady du monde...Dysthymia. I know it sounds like something pink and frothy for stomach pains and post curry hang-over, but it's actually low-grade depression. And, if you aint suffering from it as well, I don't know what globe you're spinning on.

Now, you can take something for it. There are a host of medications that address this ubiquitous social ill, but they limp your joint. Personally, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to be less depressed when the soul pole just got knocked off it's axis. You know what I mean? How is not being able to get it on supposed to help you kick the blues? This existential conundrum cooks my substantial noodle every time. This is what I call WhiteLogic, cuz there aint a brotha or sistah out there who is so depressed that they are willing to let go of the good stuff for mental health. F*&% mental health! I'll take being a depressed freek anyday rather than accept a fate worse than the peculiar institution...that of the sexless smiley face man. I swear, I can't event grok that shnizzle. Therefore, I'm doomed to deal with dysthymia by taking it out on m'lady. Now, that's a f*&%in' cure for yo' ass. Freak the blues away.

PS: Leave it to the French to provide a medicinal escape hatch -- a concoction called Tianeptine. This alleged wonder drug purports to beat back the blues while keeping your bedroom game tight and right. Damn, them Frogs know how to live - happy and hung.

Get Your Read On: Meanwhile, if you prefer to geek the weep rather than beat the wife...check out Standing In the Shadows : Understanding and Overcoming Depression in Black Men and get the scoop on why brothas are so black and blue.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?